As per the English language dictionary: Schizophrenia is a severe mental disorder. Characterized by some of the following features: intellectual deterioration, social isolation, disorganized speech and behaviour, delusions, and hallucinations.
However, there are a lot of other definitions available for the same all over the web and in different medical journals.
Important Observations about the Disorder
One thing common between all the different resources available on Schizophrenia is their belief that it is a chronic disorder.
It is categorized as a severe mental disorder that currently has 20 million people worldwide in its grips.
Causes Of Schizophrenia
Unfortunately, there has not been any discovery in the medicine which gives us concrete cause for the disorder.
The closest reason given by various researchers from all over the globe is that it is present due to genetics and environmental factors.
Symptoms Of Schizophrenia
There has been a record of a wide variety of symptoms in different cases. All these differed due to the severity of the disorder, location of patient, treatment etc.
Following are some of the most commonly found symptoms:-
- Hallucinations : The patients often experience things which are not actually present. It can range from hearing sound of the bells to as severe as seeing themselves in a different location.
- Delusions : In the simplest of words, delusions can be explained as false beliefs. Some patients have hardcore false beliefs even after contradicting proofs are present for the same.
- Disorganized Speech : Another common symptom of the disorder is inability of forming coherent thoughts and speaking them out loud by patients. It may vary from giving inappropriate answers to some questions or not answering at all.
- Abnormal Behavior : Ranging from mumbling and laughing on their own to not putting efforts in their physical appearance the patients might have experienced them all.
- Disturbances Of Emotions : Patients are mostly unable to express and even feel certain emotions. It can be observed as they often do not respond with appropriate emotions in a monotone voice or from their body language.
Effects Of Schizophrenia
The above-mentioned symptoms are the day to day life experiences of Schizophrenic patients.
These are excruciatingly painful enough. However to add to their worries patients if left untreated can have major problems along with the symptoms.
It is noted that approximately a quarter of Schizophrenic patients have Depression as well. Major depressive episodes are often experienced throughout their treatment and prevail after it as well.
Schizophrenic patients are more prone to anxiety than normal people. This feeling of anxiousness is hard to detect because of the negative symptoms in Schizophrenia; disturbances Of Emotions in particular.
Self Harm and Tendency To Commit Suicide
The inability to express themselves triggers feelings of frustration and stress. In such scenario self-harm and in extreme cases suicide is considered as an alternative by the patient.
Substance abuse such as consumption of alcohol, drugs such as Marijuana, tobacco products such as cigarettes may be heavily relied on by the patient. It provides to be a temporary relief from the symptoms. Also, it is considered as a way to escape negative feelings which may include frustration, sadness etc.
Other than the mentioned effects of Schizophrenia there are a lot of adversities the patients have to suffer which might include different diseases such as Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) and others.